ESI S.p.A. is active in the herbal products, nutraceuticals and food and nutritional supplements sector. The company was founded in 1975 by its current President, Antonio Maria Galleano. ESI was initially a brand of patented formulas that were imported from Switzerland. Soon, ESI decided to produce their own products. It created new formulas and products that were in line with scientific trends and the demands of the market. The company initially operated in Genoa, but in 1992 it moved to Albissola Marina, near Savona, where there was space for a larger production facility. Currently, the factory occupies a site of about 19,000 square meters, of which the buildings cover 10,000 square meters. Part of the site is dedicated to production, while the rest is used for administrative and commercial operations. There are a total of 85 employees. The company’s production facilities are considered among the best in the field.
ESI aims to contribute to the well-being of its customers with high quality products.
Our goal is to become the leading producer in the field of Herbal medicine and Food supplements and to take our place at the forefront of global healthcare markets, alongside the sector’s most notable competitors.
40 Years of Experience
Thanks to our constant commitment to scientific research, to developing great products and coming up with innovative new formulas, as well as the careful selection of raw materials and the experience we have gained in over 40 years of business, ESI has become one of the top manufacturers in the industry. Latest-generation manufacturing facilities and cutting-edge research, development and quality controls enable us to ahere to the most stringent quality standards. The Quality Control Laboratory is directly involved in the organoleptic, physical-chemical and microbiological testing of the best raw ingredients.
A Global Outlook
Right from the very beginning, ESI’s objective was to “become the leading producer in the field of Herbal medicine and Food supplements and to to take our place at the forefront of global healthcare markets, alongside the sector’s most notable competitors”. After 40 years of constant effort, this objective has been achieved. In fact, thanks to an extensive network of international distributors, ESI products can be found in over 50 countries, from South Africa to Finland, the USA and the Middle and Far East. This process of internationalisation is ever evolving. Every year, new countries are being added to our existing markets. What’s more, we are proud to put the Italian flag on packs sold abroad: a small gesture contributing to the image of Italy in the world with high quality products.
Quality ControlProduct quality is the company’s overriding concern. It is achieved through:
- – the identification and use of selected raw ingredients.
- – rigorous quality controls carried out in specially equipped laboratories.
- – adherance to the highest standards of quality
- – rigorous quality controls applied in modern manufacturing facilities.
21 Key Points when it comes to Quality Control
- Buy only the best raw ingredients from suppliers that have been assessed and approved by ESI.
- Store raw ingredients in appropriate locations, away from heat and moisture.
- Test and evaluate all batches of all raw ingredients upon receipt, performing physical-chemical and microbiological tests and applying established protocols and sophisticated control methods, in compliance with the technical specifications agreed with suppliers.
- Rotate batches to ensure the use of fresh raw ingredients.
- When necessary, allow for excess ingredient dosing in order to assure that the dose at the expiration date is in line with what it says on the label.
- Use natural and/or plant-based fillers, binders and other ingredients.
- Granulate certain nutrients when necessary in order to ensure that the ingredients are evenly mixed.
- Ensure production environments are dehumidified to prevent damage to moisture-sensitive nutrients.
- Use the latest compression techniques in order to avoid contamination with harmful elements.
- When necessary, coat tablets evenly immediately after production to prevent moisture and oxidation from damaging the finished product.
- Conduct disintegration tests to ensure that tablets and capsules dissolve according to the Pharmacopoeia schedule (which varies according to the type of product).
- Meticulously check all batches of semi-finished products before authorising the packaging phase.
- Pack the products in bulk immediately after tests are performed.
- Package in bottles, blisters packs, capsules and liquids according to current hygiene and food safety regulations.
- Pack products in a way that reduces light, heat and humidity damage as much as possible.
- Use food-safe packaging.
- Regularly monitor the product’s main ingredients in order to ensure that they are effective until the end of their shelf life.
- Test and check all batches of all finished products and perform physical-chemical and microbiological tests before placing those batches on the market.
- Keep a suitably sophisticated computerised inventory that allows stocks to be thoroughly monitored and ensure that products released are fresh and recently manufactured.
- Implement appropriate product safety procedures at all times and update them regularly, applying the principles that form the basis of the hazard analysis and critical control points system.
- Ensure complete traceability in accordance with EC Regulation N. 178/2002, from the receipt of each batch of raw ingredients to the delivery of products for sale.
Certification of QualityESI has obtained the following quality certifications:
- 1995 – Ministry of Health’s authorisation to produce nutritional products and supplements.
- 1999 – ISO 9001 certification, which guarantees the overall quality of ESI production processes
- 2002 – updated its quality assurance system to comply with ISO 9001: 2000 European standards
- 2004 – product certification for the ESI Aloe Vera juice range
- 2009 – updated its quality assurance system to comply with ISO 9001:2008 European standards
Growing competition and the legitimate demands of increasingly informed and selective consumers has prompted manufacturing and commercial companies to produce goods to ever more stringent quality standards. EEC directives have been implemented concerning the hygiene of products intended for the food and supplement industry, while the introduction of a Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point system was made mandatory by law with Legislative Decree No. 155/97, in order to ensure the safety of said products. Therefore, the HACCP system only represents a starting point – which is required by law – in setting up systems to ensure overall product quality. ESI is a pioneer in the nutrition/health field and has adopted this very sort of all-encompassing approach to quality, embracing a philosophy of quality certification that places the company in a position of direct exchange with consumers. Not only has ESI complied in full with HACCP system regulations, guaranteeing that manufactured, stored and transported products are in full compliance with current regulations, but it has also obtained ISO 9001 CERTIFICATION that guarantees quality in all of its operations, from the DEVELOPMENT to the PRODUCTION and MARKETING of its products.
Thanks to the reciprocal accredication granted by the organisations participating in IQNet (The International Certification Network), this certification is valid throughout all European countries, Canada, Japan and some of the other most developed countries in the world. The simultaneous introduction of HACCP and the ISO 9001 Quality System produced important synergistic effects promoting quality in all aspects of the business’s operation. For ESI, Quality Assurance means being able to offer products and services that conform not only to the provisions of legislation and specific regulations, but, more than anything else, to the expectations of consumers.
Technology and innovation have always been two of ESI’s strengths. Natural products based on advanced technologies and supported by continuous investment: this is the secret to its unbeatable manufacturing capacity.
Every hour, ESI produces over 80,000 capsules, 12,000 bottles and 300,000 tablets of various forms. ESI has also developed and patented a special system for Retard Capsules: the famous tablets with slow release. A sophisticated system for coating the tables is used to make them easier to swallow. Meanwhile, the liquid packaging department has been extended with the introduction of Pocket Drinks, practical single-dose sachets.
By taking advantage of the opportunities presented by modern technology, ESI can perfect packaging processes and offer consumers a high-quality product that is both practical and easy to use.